In case an individual has recently got a dental retainer, then it is very essential to clean the same properly in order to prevent the building up of bacteria. The building up of bacteria will definitely ruin your retainer hence making you ill. The bottom line is that invisible retainers must be cleaned regularly to keep them sparkling and free from germs.
Observations Regarding Dirtying of Invisible Retainers
There are many easy home methods to be used. Also there are some conventional products along with invisible retainer cleaner for the purpose of easy cleaning. In case retainer comprises of parts that are soldered on, then it is better to be cautious while soaking the same. In case somebody is not sure about the comprising of metal solder, then the dentist or orthodontist must be consulted.
In order to know the best time for cleaning your retainer, there are some things to be observed which include:
- Coming out of smell from the retainer – The bad smell of retainer is due to the building up of bacteria. In order to prevent this, it must be cleaned regularly. Doing so will prevent causing of potential illness that is caused due to dirt in mouth.
- Retainer comprising of a hard white film – The white hard film covering the retainer is nothing more than plaque. The retainer must be cleaned regularly to prevent hardening of the tartar.
Home Methods of Cleaning Retainers
As a new set of retainer cost nearly £130 in an average, it must be at one’s best interest to keep it clean and germ free. Some of the home methods of cleaning retainers include:
- Brushing with a soft toothbrush – You must clean your retainer every night with the help of a bit of non-abrasive toothpaste or dish washing agent along with a soft toothbrush. It will prevent growth of scratches hence keeping the retainers clean.
- Soaking with vinegar and water – The retainer must be soaked into a uniform mixture of warm tap water and white distilled vinegar for about 15-30 minutes. Afterwards the retainer must be brushed with a soft toothbrush and rinsed gently with warm water.
- Soaking of retainers in the mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water – One can clean invisible braces retainer by soaking the same into a uniform mixture of warm tap water and 3% hydrogen peroxide for at last 30 minutes. Afterwards the retainers must be rinsed thoroughly with warm water.
- Mouthwash soak – It is possible to dilute equal parts of mouthwash and water to make your retainer smell fresh for shooing away bacteria. However, mouthwash usually contains some amount of alcohol due to which will be better to soak the retainer occasionally.
- Soaking of retainers in denture tablets – It is recommended to use a pinch of denture tablets for soaking the retainers to remove the stains. It is better not to opt for continuous usage of this method.
It is all about some of the home made methods for retainer cleaning. Along with cleaning the retainers every day, it is also important to store the retainer in a good retainer case.